Saturday, July 3, 2010

the Meat Life: a Re-introduction

Let’s start again.  I’m Chris and this is a little blog known as the Meat Life.  I’m a 27 year old married man living outside of Oklahoma City with my wife and two kids.  Before this part of my life, the Meat Life probably would have consisted of going to class and some pretty sick house parties.  Now I’ve settled down quite a bit.  the Meat Life now consists of going to work and chilling out with the family.  But between those days and now, I’ve always liked three things: electronics, entertainment, and sports.  And that’s basically what this blog is all about.

--Sidetrack--
For those of you who are wondering, why the Meat Life?  Well, growing up as a little kid, I always longed for a nickname.  For years I tried to make things stick (CJ, DJ…don’t ask me why on that one, C-Money, the list goes on).  It wasn’t until I played inline hockey in high school that a name that someone else gave me came along and stuck.  Meat.  I guess Mitra was too long for someone to yell from the bench, and someone yelled Meat.  That name did stay dormant for a bit after I stopped playing organized hockey.  Then when I joined a fraternity in college the name reemerged and stuck for good.
–Back on main-track--

Before I was on a couple of other blogging sites.  Open Diary from 2000-2002 in pretty much the infancy of the blog craze.  I forget what my tag was, but since it was my senior year of high school and the freshman year of college it probably wasn’t all that important.  Then from the latter half of 2002 on thru 2006 I was HopelessHero on Xanga.  That pretty much cronicled the college life that I previously had.  Pics of parties, logging for votes on whether or not to keep my goatie, stuff like that.  With that blog I did dive a little bit into the things I liked.  To countdown my 21st birthday, I went basically made 21 countdowns over my favorite things.  Songs of the 90s.  Best albums since I’ve been alive.  Best movies of the 90s.  Best trilogies/movie series.  Greatest sports moments.  Basically a precursor to what I want to do with this blog.

After having my first child, the HopelessHero tag didn’t really fit me anymore.  Talking a couple of years later with my brother, Mike, he suggested I should start blogging again.  This time around I wanted to make it more focused.  Less on my day-to-day life and more on the stuff I was interested in.  Thus started the Meat Life.

So for 2008 and much of 2009, that’s what I did.  There was no real structure (look back at the previous entries, I averaged about an entry per month if that).  I just wrote whatever.  Then in September last year until now, I took a hiatus.  My second child was born!  A couple months ago I thought of going back to blogging again.  This time a more structured attack.

Here is the plan as it were:  three entries a month.  One for each category – entertainment (and by entertainment I mean music, movies, and TV), electronics (TVs, cell phones, games, computers, that sort of thing), and sports (favorite moments, impact on the larger society, all opinions).  That’s the goal, anyway (I do have a family to feed, haha!).  Since this entry is more of a prologue than anything, I won’t count this one as one of those entries per month.  In the future I’ll try to have a guest writer for a second opinion.  Writing stuff like this has been sort of a thing of mine for quite some time (you guys from the old school, remember “CT 40?”) so it’s only right that I get this going again.

Before I let you go on this Independence Day Weekend, I’ll leave you with a link.  A couple weeks ago there was a glorious moment.  In spite of all the turmoil going on around the country with the BP environmental fiasco, the economy, wars overseas, and the country divided politically, American sports fans were united by one single moment of euphoria.  And although they got eliminated a few days later, it still remains as arguable the best sports moment so far this year.
Landon Donovan Goal

Have a great Independence Day!  USA!
See you guys online!


the Meat Life

No comments: