Friday, July 23, 2010

Hot Links

New segment!

I know I said next entry will be the Meat Life College Football Preview, so consider this kind of like a pop quiz...only less stressful.  Hot Links! (Get it?  Meat...Links...okay I'll stop now)


We'll start with the big dog in film right now, Inception:

-Here's a great explanation of the Five "Levels" of Inception.
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS so if you haven't seen the movie yet, do NOT read these.

-The Los Angeles Times has an interesting article about the critics' reviews of the movie.


And in the world of music:

-Someone at CNN must have read the Meat Life.  Haha, jk.

-Time Magazine's Newsfeed complied a list of the Top Ten Worst Summer Songs.  I, a fan of countdowns, had to look at it and give my two cents.  If you don't want to click on the link I'm actually going to outline it right now (I know what's the point of having an entry with links and then basically give the link away).

Here is the list in no particular order ---
Katy Perry - "California Gurls"
LFO - "Summer Girls"
Nelly - "Hot in Herre"
Bryan Adams - "Summer of '69"
Black Eyed Peas - "I Gotta Feeling"
Fergie - "London Bridge"
Vitamin C - "Graduation (Friends Forever)"
The Knack - "My Sharona"
Sheryl Crow - "All I Wanna Do"
Jeremih - "Birthday Sex"

Okay here is my analysis about this list.  First, I'm not even sure if all these even came out during the summer.  Second, "Summer of '69" is an awesome song.  I don't care that Adams was only ten years old back in 1969, that's not the point.  Third, where the hell did Vitamin C go?  I guess she was a one album wonder, with that song and "Smile" being the only relevant hits of hers.  Fourth, I know that LFO song's lyrics are questionable at best, but that's what I like about pop music.  It doesn't have to make sense.  You think any of Oasis's or Bush's song lyrics made any sense?  Damn, I just compared LFO to Oasis...I should really stop there.  And my final point..."Birthday Sex?"  Really?  Is that what R&B/Pop has come to?

---Sidetrack---
Yes, I'll admit it.  I like pop music.  Not as much as I like songs with grinding rock guitars or rappers spitting their flows, but I like it nonetheless.  It's a part of the culture we live in today whether it's crap or not.  Crap being borrow or unoriginal...but how many original ideas are there REALLY in music?  Some of it is crap, but some of that crap I like to sing along to.  There is nothing more fun (or funny depending on how you look at it) than rolling down I-44 jamming out to Lady GaGa's "Bad Romance."  Anyway...
---End of Sidetrack---



Sports!

-Here is the unedited version of the Nebraska Football video telling fans to "Wear Red, Be Loud, Beat Texas."  That "Beat Texas" tag was later removed.  As a Sooner fan I say, too bad.  I would have kept it there.

-Speaking of Nebraska, here's the awesome new Dick's Sporting Goods commercial featuring none other than Ndamukong Suh.

-And touching on what I wrote about a couple weeks ago, apparently the ESPN Ombudsman thinks his network was over the line with "The Decision" broadcast.

-And look who the richest athletes are.


And finally, tech stuff:

-I guess Steve Jobs is giving iPhone 4 users free cases (for a limited time).  Should I get my wife one for our anniversary then?

-If Jobs wasn't fed up already, I wonder how he felt when a Microsoft exec called iPhone 4 "Apple's Vista."

-Happy 500 (million users) Facebook!  I remember in the fall of 2005 when a girl in one of my classes asked me "hey, can you join this thing and be my friend on it?"  Coming fresh off of the Friendster craze, I was reluctant to join one of these new-fangled social networks.  But I thought, hey it's college.  So I responded "sure, what's it called?"  "thefacebook.com.  It's going to be cool."  Little did I know in less than five years it would be the most visited site in the world.

-Oh, and for you 80s kids, check this one out.


Aight folks, see you next entry!

themeatlife.blogspot.com

No comments: