Thursday, December 30, 2010

End of 2010 Review – Television

I’ll give you my ten fave shows of the year, but first a look back at one classic show that came to an end in 
2010: Lost.

I actually came across the show by accident.  My sister asked for the first season on DVD for Christmas of 2005.  She said it was a really good show and she was liked JJ Abrams since she was an Alias fan.  I was living in Norman at the time and when I went back to my parents’ house in Lawton, I realized I left the DVD set in Norman.  So I had to buy another copy in Lawton and gave it to my sister.  Now I had never watched the show at all.  Through most of college I didn’t have cable TV either so I had heard of it but never really got the opportunity to see it.

So when I got back to Norman I had a decision to make: return the DVD set or see what all the fuss was about.  I decided to pop it open and watch, and from the get-go I knew I made the right decision.  Lost gave me what I wanted.  Cinematic epicness.  Mythical intrigue.  Conspiracy.  Comedic value.  And most of all a collection of rich characters that were so real and relatable.  I fell in love with the characters and I think that will live on longer than anything else in the series.

Many people found the ending controversial and without resolution of the many questions the show’s mythology posed.  I found the ending fitting.  As in life, not everything has an answer.  And in the end you aren’t going to remember whether or not you found out why the Others were living on the island or how Penny’s dad got all that money or many of the other petty little questions.  You are going to remember the people that surrounded you and that impacted your life.

So thanks Lost.  Thanks for 6 years (well for me 5 since I caught on to it about halfway through the 2nd season) of television greatness.  We will miss you.


Now here are my ten picks as a MeatLife Fave (Scripted) TV Shows:

The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
In its 4th season, it is still as funny as it began.  Nerd-comedy at its finest.

Blue Bloods (CBS)
If you like cop dramas, this show would interest you.  If you like family dramas, this would interest you.  Solid procedural in its first season that has a lot of potential.

Castle (ABC)
This is a great cop dramedy.  The show mixes buddy cop drama with sexual tension filled sitcom and has grown better with age in its 3rd season.

Community (NBC)
This community college sitcom in its 2nd season gives a great change of pace.  I enjoy the random, off the wall humor.

FlashForward (ABC)
I feel this show ended prematurely, but I can see why it was cancelled.  For the epic scale and cinema-like feel each episode, the production budget probably needed more than 5 million viewers an episode by the end of the series to support it.

Fringe (FOX)
Another great JJ Abrams initiated project in the middle of its third season.  Combines a decent procedural with a great larger story much in the same light as the X-Files once did.

Still funny and has really separated itself from the similar Friends.  Although you would think after six seasons we would have caught a glimpse of the mother by now.

Lost (ABC)
What else can I say?

Modern Family (ABC)
A fairly new take on the family sitcom.  Uses the en vogue documentary style filming popularized by The Office.  Very funny and will live well beyond its current 2nd season.

Outsourced (NBC)
A TV adaptation of a feature film of the same name.  In its first season I think it’s actually funnier and more entertaining than the film.


One last thing, NBC seems to be a sinking network even with some of the quality comedies it is still producing.  One glaring thing was the late night drama, moving Jay Leno to primetime and then back to late night and essentially booting Conan O’Brien off of the Tonight Show shortly after he took it over.  Whoever thought Jay Leno would have a successful show at 9 PM (CST) 5 days a week really didn’t know what they were doing.  I’m glad Conan has a show now (even if it’s on TBS).  And although Jay was villianized in the situation, it wasn’t his fault his network is being mismanaged, so I have no hard feelings for Leno even though I am fond of Team CoCo.


May there be more entertaining quality scripted television in the coming year.  We’ll see what 2011 will bring soon enough!


No comments: