Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hot hot HOT Links

Here are your weekly links accompanied by my commentary!


Facebook and other tech stuff

-Facebook streamlines their birthday wall posts.  I actually noticed this a few days ago and was rather pleased.  Took me less time to read through my feeds.

-Facebook to start a Foursquare-like geolocation feature.  But can't you update your location on Facebook using Foursquare already?  I don't know, I don't use Foursquare...

-Android now tops US smartphone sales.  I'll admit, Google is gaining smartphone OS market share...but if you come out with a new phone every month on virtually every US carrier then you will obvious sell a lot of phones with your OS.  What will be more interesting is if Apple ever decides to release a version of the iPhone on another network (like the nation's largest network Verizon...)

-Google still rules the search market share (yeah, who ever thought we would talk about a market share for searching for things) but is lagging behind the innovation of Bing (innovation and Microsoft?  Really?!?).

-George Lucas drops a lawsuit against a company that built a laser that "copied" the form of a lightsaber.  Get a life, George.  Just because a company builds a laser doesn't mean they copied you.

-New Blackberry Torch review.  Looks nice.  I'm not really a Blackberry guy though.


Sports


-Since Tiger Woods has been sucking it up lately, we get a preview of the golf world post-Tiger.

-Pro Football Hall of Fame welcomes Jerry Rice and Emmitt Smith.  I wasn't a bit Cowboys fan growing up (still not) but I have respect for Smith.  Rice, however...greatest of all time!

-I neglected to include this in the last links, but my boy Sam Bradford inks a deal with the Rams.  My opinion...NFL needs to do what the NBA does with rookie contracts and have them staggered so that they don't get so much of that guaranteed money right away and have to earn it.  So many like Jamarcus Russell get overpaid (in his case, STEALING money) and like Chris Johnson or Darrelle Revis get massively underpaid.

-LeBron finally gives his thanks to Cleveland while Shaq signs with the Celtics.  In other LeBron news, his longtime girlfriend was against going to Miami.  Should have listened to your girl Bron-Bron.

-OKC Thunder national TV schedule is LOADED this year.  After only two games on ESPN during the regular season, it seems that the Thunder are the NBA's "IT" young team.  FOURTEEN nationally televised games!  Not bad for the country's 45th largest TV market.

-ESPN has an awesome House of Pain feature counting down the Top 50 most painful outcomes (painful for some anyway).

-Stoopsie taking a tour of ESPN today.  Nice.


Entertainment

-Interesting Gaga quotes.  Why would men want to steal your creativity from your vagina?  I think that's the last thing they would want to do with a vagina...

-Why won't Kate Gosselin just go away?

-Wyclef Jean puts in his bid to become president of Haiti.  The hips don't lie...ready or not, here he comes...he'll be gone till November...okay I'm out of Wyclef lyric jokes.


Alright, I better go to bed right now...right after I watch the rest of Ferris Bueller's Day Off on AMC.  G'night!


themeatlife.blogspot.com

No comments: