Sunday, August 23, 2009

MeatTracks of the Decade: the 2000s Continued

Continuing profiling some of my favorite songs of the past decade, it is hard to believe it has been ten years since Y2K. Haha remember that scare? People stocking up on water and supplies and claiming the apolcolypse was upon us. A lot has changed since then, and yet a lot still remains the same. Last entry with the MeatTracks marked the halfway point of the list, hard to believe it is almost the end of the year and the start of another decade. Anyway, enough bable, here are more of my fave cuts of the past 10 years. These ten will have more of a rock flavor.

-Incubus’sStellar” (2000)
"Drive" was their bigger hit on this CD, but "Stellar" is my favorite Incubus song. The hopeless romantic in me loved the lyrics. I liked the whole otherworldly theme of the song, and they made the video express this very well.

-Vertical Horizon’sEverything You Want” (2000)
Again, during the hopeless romantic stage of my life. When I felt invisible and had the "best friend syndrome." I truly thought I was the right guy for a lot of girls...just not right then to them. Maybe five years in the future. Okay enough of the sappiness (starting to sound pathetic, haha)...great song and really dug the guitar effects in the intro.

-The White Stripes’sFell In Love With a Girl” (2002)
Probably one of the cooler videos this decade (this one and that OKGo video with the treadmills). Legos rock. Short, fast, uppity song that really gets you going for the two minute run time.

-Thursday’sStanding on the Edge of Summer” (2002)
This song actually reminds me of the time right before the end of my freshman year of college. A lot of contemplation on where my life was heading. A lot of late nights driving and thinking. Funny that it's called "Standing on the Edge of Summer," back then I truly was.

-Finch’sWhat It Is to Burn” (2003)
First heard this band riding around with Vince. This song stood out to me and I'm not sure why. Maybe the raw emotion in the lyrics that matched the intensity of the instrumental parts of the song.

-My Chemical Romance’sI’m Not Okay (I Promise)” (2004)
Great song and I loved the whole movie trailer themed video. I love its fast pace. Very fun to hear on the highway or to sing along to.

-The All-American Rejects’sDance Inside” (2005)
My favorite Rejects song. I love this song but I have had conversations with my brother about this song...we don't know exactly what the song is about. I figure it's about a special night with a lover by the mentions of touching and tangles, but I have no real idea.

-Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’sFace Down” (2006)
For a song about an abusive relationship, it is very catchy. I think originally I downloaded a demo version of this song, which featured more screamo elements. I liked the demo better than the one that comes on the radio.

-Three Days Grace’sNever Too Late” (2007)
A song about hope. This song reminds me a lot of a friend of mine in the past. He doesn't talk to me anymore, but sometimes I think about him especially when this song and a couple other songs come on my iTunes/iPod/iPhone.

-Paramore’sMisery Business” (2007)
Very catchy, love the pacing of the song (I don't know why, something about a fast song gets me going). Sometimes I catch myself singing along to this on my way to work if it comes up on my iPod.


If you missed the previous entries, here are the songs on the MeatTracks list so far:
-Linkin Park’s “My December” (2000)
-Linkin Park’s “Pushing Me Away” (Original 2000, Remix 2002, Live 2007)
-Alien Ant Farm’s “Smooth Criminal” (2001)

-Eve 6’s “Here’s To The Night” (2001)
-Fabolous's "Young'n (Holla Back)" (2001)

-Jagged Edge's "Where the Party At? (featuring Nelly)" (2001)
-Usher’s “U Got It Bad” (2001)
-Clipse's "Grindin'" (2002)

-Coldplay’s “The Scientist” (2002)
-50 Cent’s “In Da Club” (2002)
-Jimmy Eat World’s “A Praise Chorus” (2002)
-Jimmy Eat World’s “Sweetness” (2002)
-Justin Timberlake’s “Cry Me a River” (2002)
-Nelly’s “Hot in Herre” (2002)
-Jay-Z's "La La La (Excuse Me Miss Again)" (2003)

-Mae’s “Summertime” (2003)
-R. Kelly’s “Ignition (Remix)” (2003)

-Blink 182’s “Miss You” (2004)
-Finley Quaye and William Orbit’s “Dice” (2004)
-Franz Ferdinand’s “Take Me Out” (2004)
-Fat Joe’s “Lean Back (Remix featuring Lil Jon, Eminem, & Mase) (2004)
-Green Day’s “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” (2004)
-Jay-Z’s “Dirt Off Your Shoulder” (2004)
-Jimmy Eat World’s “23” (2004)
-Modest Mouse’s “Float On” (2004)
-Snoop Dogg’s “Drop It Like It’s Hot (featuring Pharrell)” (2004)
-Thrice’s “Stare at the Sun” (2004)
-Acceptance’s “So Contagious” (2005)

-The Dandy Warhols’s “We Used to Be Friends” (2005)
-Fall Out Boy’s “Sugar, We’re Going Down” (2005)
-The Foo Fighters’s “Best of You” (2005)
-Kanye West’s “Gold Digger (featuring Jamie Foxx)” (2005)
-The Killer’s “Smile Like You Mean It” (2005)
-Youngbloodz's "Presidential (featuring Lil Jon)" (2005)

-Fort Minor’s “Where’d You Go?” (2006)
-Justin Timberlake's "My Love (featuring T.I.)" (2006)

-The Killers’s “When You Were Young” (2006)
-Nelly Furtado’s “Say It Right” (2006)
-Ne-Yo’s “Sexy Love” (2006)

-Taking Back Sunday’s “MakeDamnSure” (2006)
-T.I.'s "What You Know" (2006)

-Anberlin’s “Godspeed” (2007)
-Chris Brown’s “Kiss Kiss (featuring T-Pain)” (2007)
-Kanye West’s “Stronger” (2007)
-One Republic’s “Apologize” (2007)

-Rihanna’s “Umbrella (Remix featuring Jay-Z and Chris Brown)” (2007)
-Shop Boyz's "Party Like a Rockstar" (2007)

-The Starting Line’s “Island” (2007)
-Lady Gaga's "Just Dance" (2008)
-Rick Ross's "The Boss (featuring T-Pain)" (2008)


Look out next entry, the Meat Life will be closing out the summer with the rest of the summer movie reviews.


http://www.themeatlife.blogspot.com/

No comments: